Sunday, October 11, 2009

Inaugural eating meeting: Om Restaurant

Tonight we had our inaugural eating meeting! It went great, despite a flurry of last-minute cancellations (hope the Twins win and that colds are overcome). We decided a couple things going forward:

-- We'll plan to split the cost of food evenly, but keep track of our own alcohol at these meals
-- We'll meet roughly once a month; Sunday nights are good
-- Someone will organize each month, and be in charge of sending out evites, making reservations, etc.
-- The organizer will also pick the restaurant, but will not be held at all responsible if it turns out to be a dud -- we want to encourage us all to try new places!
-- Feel free to invite more friends. It seems like we have plenty of room at the table :)

We liked Om's food, especially the naan, but might dock points for temperature--the challenge of heating a basement dining area has yet to be overcome.

We ordered four entrees and some sides to split. They were
Vegetable pot pie
Salmon with coconut curry
Scallops on a bed of spinach (spicy!)
Avocado-stuffed chicken breast
Peanut-stuffed eggplant
Naan with paneer and mint
Naan with potato and green chili
Chickpea pancakes

My favorite was probably the vegetable curry or the salmon, but the chicken was a crowd-pleaser, too. The naan was excellent -- crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. Would be a delicious late-night snack with one of their cocktails.

Next up: Heartland on November 15!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I deleted my comment by mistake. Take two here...

    I liked that the flavors at Om were generally more nuanced than at some other Indian restaurants in the Twin Cities. I'm thinking that their food would go very well with wines. (Note to self: Get some wine next time.) I'm also noticing now, an hour after dinner, that I'm not feeling as heavy and stuffed as I normally would after eating Indian food. Maybe there is a bit less clarified butter involved in their cooking?
    All in all, a very good dinner! Thanks for a nice time, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dessert??? I thought the Mango Cheesecake with the pistachio cardamom crust was memorable. The chocolate lava thing, less so.

    My cocktail: Kashmir Margarita; I rarely order a cocktail, but generally assume that they contain alcohol--I wasn't sure this one had it.

    Nice presentation all around. Liked the vegetable curry and chicken. Despite having a hand in the ultimate demise of my (formerly) favorite men's clothing store, I enjoyed the meal and will likely return--but will stay away from the cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur that the Vegetable Curry Casserole was one of my favorite dishes of the evening. I enjoyed the salmon as well...more than I thought I would. (I was a bit apprehensive about the mix of salmon and Indian spices, but no more! :))

    I'd be interested to return --but only once they get the heat thing figured out, but think it would also be a fun place to try for a happy hour to enjoy the naan, and maybe try another cocktail. (My 'Amber' cocktail also seemed a little light on the liquor, but the mango juice was nice :)).

    ReplyDelete